Loving and treating your dog child with some delicious treats is the most often thing you do in a day. But have you ever wondered about their oral hygiene? Unlike humans, dogs cannot speak about the problems inside their mouth, yet the simplest way to understand them is by pepping inside your dog”s mouth.
You could be surprised easily just by looking inside their mouth. There could be meat from many days that is stuck in your dog’s mouth for many days. Also many times you find an awful smell from your dogs. This could be due to poor oral hygiene and improper care of mouth and teeth cavities.
It’s important that being a pro-active dog parent, you need to choose the best dog toothpaste for your pet. Because good toothpaste not only helps clean the germs that are being produced in the mouth of dogs but also helps to fight the cavity inside and to give them a fresh breathe. Hence here is our top picks 10 Best Dog toothpaste to fight bad breath and clean teeth.
Best Buy Dog Toothpastes Reviews
Toothpaste is a must essential for you as well as your dog buddy. It helps get rid of stains and germs that build up in the mouth overnight. It is recommended for pets including both cats and dogs to brush teeth regularly to get rid of the stinky smell and bad germs.
Dogs are carnivorous animals. Their most meals even their treats consists of meat and bones. So it is paramount to brush their teeth properly to take the stuck particles out from their mouth. At first, they might be fussy or throw some tantrums but with little love and more pampering, it gets habituated.
Now let us look, at some of our recommended toothpaste.
1. Oxyfresh Pet Toothpaste For Dogs
If you are looking for a toothpaste that can provide your pet with fresh clean breath and glistening sparkling teeth, then Oxyfresh Pet Toothpaste is your go-to solution. Also, this product claims to be cruelty-free and contains no artificial colours. This toothpaste is best for day to day use and keeps your Dog”s breathe fresh and clean.
In particular, if your dog is fussy about brushing and becomes too aggressive then you can just rub the Oxyfresh Pet Toothpaste on their gum lines and if possible wipe it off after few minutes. There is also an additional help that buyers love about this toothpaste is that it is vet recommended and can be applied on wounds and cuts for a soothing effect.
- Cleans pet teeth with or without a toothbrush.
- No artificial colouring and additives
- Comes in travel-friendly packaging
- Vet recommended
- It Contains paraben, carageen and chlorine.
2. Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste- Eliminates Bad Breath by Removing Plaque and Tartar Buildup
If you are a dog parent you must be aware of the harmful effects of poor oral hygiene. irregular brushing of teeth can give your dog a very hard time. You would be surprised to know that 80% of the dogs suffer from dental disorders. Most commonly plaque, bad breath and gum disease. Vibac CET enzymatic toothpaste is one of the leading brands which deals with such a problem.
Glucose Oxidase is the most important enzyme that fights with all the harmful bacteria that builds up inside the mouth. Hence it is always advisable to choose an enzymatic toothpaste that kills all the germs and provides your dog with a clean and fresh breath.
Virbac CET enzymatic eliminates bad breath by removing plaque and tartar build-up.
- It is safe for daily use, as it contains no foaming agents.
- It is vet recommended
- Comes in different flavour that your dog adores
- Easy to use
- Contains Glucose oxidase enzyme which helps cleaning all the dreadful bacterial buildup
- Dogs tend to over sallow as items in different flavour
3. Vet’s Best Enzymatic Dog Toothpaste -Teeth Cleaning and Fresh Breath Dental Care Gel
If you are looking for a toothpaste which is made up of natural ingredients and is a top vet recommended, then you are in the right place. Vet’s Best Enzymatic dog toothpaste is one of the most recommended brands by top vets.
It is soothing yet effective to boost oral hygiene of your dog. It contains all-natural ingredients like Neem oil, Baking soda, aloe vera, and helpful enzymes and grape seed oil. One thing you need to keep in mind before using the toothpaste is that you should not allow the intake of any food or water half an hour before and after the application.
- Made up of all-natural ingredients
- provides your dog with fresh breathe
- Controls any tatar build-up
- May cause stomach illness
- Your dog(if sensitive to any of the natural ingredient) may have an allergy.
4. KissAble Dental Care For Dogs With Bad Breath
KisAble Dental care for Dogs is a decent option when it comes to the market of toothpaste, It is an excellent product made with all-natural ingredients like grapeseed oil, mint vanilla tea tree oil etc.
This toothpaste controls tartar build-up and excess mouth odour. Vanilla and mint both make an amazing combination which eliminates the bad breath of your dog,
- Vet recommended
- Safe to sallow as it does not contain any fluoride particles
- Natural taste with the combination of stevia and vanilla.
- May be allergic to dogs as it contains tea tree oil
- Does not contain enzymes
5. Paws & Pals Dog Toothpaste – Teeth Cleaning Set Best for Dog
Paws and pals Dog Toothpaste is one of the most demanding yet a resourceful toothpaste in the market. Your dog will want to brush his teeth more and more just because of this beef flavoured toothpaste.
This toothpaste is extremely helpful to fight Plaque and tartar build-up. It claims to have a natural beef fragrance that would make dogs fall easy for it. Also, it helps to remove the yellow stain from their teeth,
- Whitens teeth
- Fights with the bacterial build-up
- The beef smelled may prevail long
- Contains sodium
6. Petpost Toothpaste for Dogs – Coconut Oil and Baking Soda Based Dental Gel
Petpost Toothpaste for dogs is an incredible toothpaste made from all-natural ingredients like coconut oil and baking soda. This toothpaste provides natural cleansing of the mouth and tongue as it contains anti-bacterial property.
Coconut oil is a natural antiseptic which kills harmful bacterias and eliminates bad odour. It also helps cleaning the gut health if kept inside pets mouth for 5 minutes or so. Baking soda is also known for whitening and cleaning oil and grease. It helps to get rid of the stubborn stains that represent in your dog’s teeth and make them sparkling white.
- All-natural ingredients
- Environmental friendly packaging
- Contains essential oil for controlling the bacterial build-up
- Jelly like Consistency
- Becomes hard after long use
7. Arm & Hammer Dog Dental Care Toothpaste for Dogs
Arm & Hammer Dog toothpaste is an enzymatic toothpaste, best suitable for dogs of all age. It keeps the gum healthy and teeth clean. Flavours used are vanilla ginger, which is a good combo to give your dog the best fresh breathe. Other than that this toothpaste also contains cellulose which provides strength to the teeth of your dog.
it also contains Glucose oxidase which is an important enzyme that kills the bacteria build up in the mouth. It also helps to fight with plaque and tartar buildup.
- Contains natural flavouring’.
- Prevents bad breathe
- Controls tartar build-up
- Contains helpful enzymes
- May cause vomiting
- May cause diarrhoea
8. TropiClean No Brushing Peanut Butter Flavor Clean Teeth Dental & Oral Care Gel for Dogs
Fresh breath by tropiClean is an amazing toothpaste for a dog of all age. It comes in delicious peanut flavour that dogs love. Your dog won’t show any tantrums while brushing his teeth as it is a likeable flavoured toothpaste.
This toothpaste also contains green tea which helps in detoxification of mouth. This toothpaste is best for regular use and is safe if swallowed.
- Comes handy with a toothbrush
- Dogs tend to like the flavour
- Does great value for money
- Lasts long
- May cause gum bleeding.
9. Ortz Dog Toothpaste and Toothbrush Set
Otz Dog Toothpaste and toothbrush is specially designed to fight and prevent periodontal disease, organ failure and to give a healthy lifestyle. It comes handy with a toothbrush set so that you don’t need to worry about an extra tool to buy for.
Additionally, it claims to remove the necessary bacterial build up and the tartar inside the mouth. It makes your dog happy and ready for some adorable and friendly smooching time.
- Dogs like the flavour
- Help fight oral disorders
- Great value for money
- Bristles of the toothbrush are hard
- Gum bleed may occur
10. ProSense Dental Solutions for Dogs, Enzymatic Formula
ProScense Dental Solution for Dogs is an outlandish toothpaste for all the dog lovers. It contains all the strong enzyme that helps clean natural stains and tartar build-up from your dog”s mouth.
This also comes handy with a set of toothbrush that you can use to brush your pet”s teeth. This toothpaste contains necessary enzymes like lysozymes, glucose oxidase. You need not worry about harmful chemicals as this toothpaste does not contain any fluorides.
- Cleans stain
- Stops tartar build-up
- Prevents oral disorders
- May cause stomach upset
- Dogs don’t prefer the smell of the toothpaste.
How To Choose The Best Dog Toothpastes
Here are some key features to consider while purchasing dog toothpastes:
1. Ingredients:- The most important factor a responsible dog parent should consider before buying any kind of toothpaste is its chore ingredients. Before buying any kind of stationeries may it be the eateries or the regular hygiene product, you must look into the ingredients in the level.
One must read and educate him/her self before buying toothpaste for dogs. After having deep research and going through researches we found that there are many ingredients in the toothpaste, that are found in the market that can lead to health disasters for your dog. Some of them are tea tree oil, Aloe vera, sodium and fluoride. You really need to look into details and the percentage of the above-said ingredients while buying toothpaste. Your dog might show some kind of reaction to the ingredients.
Hence you should always look for a toothpaste which contains a pet-friendly natural ingredient
2. Allergies:– You would be surprised to know that your dog may get serious health problems like stomach upset, vomiting and dizziness due to a simple toothpaste. And that is why we recommend you to go through the ingredients before buying the toothpaste.
On the other hand, as a dog parent, you should know what your puppy is most allergic to? For example, some dogs are allergic to sodium, while others are allergic to the aloe vera present. Even some studies have mentioned that tea tree oil is not good for dogs as they might throw up or have a bad stomach after consumption. So its really important to just test toothpaste on your dog for somedays, and if they do fine, you can continue using that.
3. Flavours:– Some dogs are very particular about the smell of their food. They won’t eat each and everything which we humans like, unless and until it is a delicious piece of meat. Dogs are picky eaters. They would show tantrums while eating fruits and vegetables. And hence they are also particular about the taste of their toothpaste too.
There is a certain taste that dogs tend to dislike which are most commonly present in toothpaste such as mint, ginger and lemon. There could also be other products that dogs might not like. Hence you always need to consider buying a toothpaste that smells good for your dog.
4. Brands:- In the market of hygiene products, Branded items are one of the most important resources to be taken into count. You can always look up to and expect good results from a branded toothpaste company. Not only they provide you satisfaction but also gives you a scene of relief that you have chosen the right product for your pet.
5. Reviews:- We recommend you to read all the review and recommendations while buying toothpaste online. And if you are going to buy it from an offline store then do your homework and go.
Reviews of people who have real-life experience can help you get an idea of what and how the product works. You could also find some pros and cons while looking for a review of the people and save your dog friend from unnecessary suffering. We highly recommend you to go through the review section before making mind to buy the toothpaste.
6. Non-foaming:- Ordinary and cheap toothpaste for dogs contain foaming chemicals like sulphides and fluorides. These are harsh chemicals which can cause serious organ damage and also lead to cancer. Hence always opt for a toothpaste which contains no foaming chemicals.
Also, it is advisable to buy toothpaste that is safe to sallow. The foaming action developed by the chemicals present in the toothpaste, if not spit out can be a real danger to health. We have recommended toothpaste that is non-foaming and is safe to sallow.
7. Enzymatic action:- The key product that is a must is the enzymes. The enzymes are the main substances that help to create cleansing action inside the pet’s mouth. The enzymes are good chemical substances that enhance the rate of cleaning reaction. It helps cleaning all the stains and tartar build-up in the teeth.
This also helps reduce bad breath and cleanses the mouth deep. The enzymes are necessary for the carnivorous organism. As these laniferous animals consume regular meat and sweet treats. It is essential to treat their calcium-rich teeth animals to be healthy. Here we provide you with some of the important enzymes that you must look into the label of the toothpaste packet to get the maximum benefit
- Glucose oxidase
8. Cruelty-free and environmental-friendly:-This is a minimum courtesy you need to show to your environment and your surrounding. It’s important and our responsibility to be a responsible citizen of our surrounding. One should always consider buying products that are cruelty-free, as these products are not only helping save our ecosystem but also helpful for your dog.
Rather then that you need to try buying toothpaste and other plastic-coated products which claim to be renewable and reusable. This proves to be a great boon not for the ecosystem.
9. Texture and consistency:-Texture and consistency are what you regret after buying the products. Often after buying the toothpaste you regret about contemporary things like taste, texture and consistency. Some toothpaste claims to give you the best texture and consistency even after long use. While the toothpaste often gets loosened and watery, while others get hard.
10. Safety:- Before buying any kind of toothpaste it is important to know and research about the product if you are considering to use it for the long run. You should definitely choose a toothpaste which is safe to use daily and 100% vet recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is it safe to use toothpaste on dogs?
Yes, it is absolutely safe to use toothpaste on dogs and it is vet advisable to use toothpaste on your dog. It is also recommended that you should brush your Dog’s teeth 3-4 days in a week. Regular brushing of teeth can help your dog get rid of tartar build up, bad breath and bacterial build-up. This also promotes healthy lifestyle.
Q2. Can I remove tartar from my dog’s mouth naturally?
Yes, you can remove tartar from dog’s mouth naturally by brushing your pet’s tooth regularly. You can take the help of a toothbrush or use your fingers to rub the paste on their gums.
Q3. Is it safe if my dog swallows the toothpaste?
Yes, it is not dangerous if your dog swallows the toothpaste, although it is not recommended to. And another thing you need to keep in mind while buying toothpaste for your dog is the ingredients. If your dog’s toothpaste contains sulphates and fluoride, then it is not recommended to sallow as these chemicals on a long run can give your dog a hard time and can even reduce their life span for 1-2 years.
Q4. Can I Use my toothpaste for my Dog?
You cannot use your toothpaste for your dog as the toothpaste for humans contain a lot of chemicals like sulphites, carbides, silicates, fluorides that are necessary t clean the calcium-rich human teeth. Also, we humans do spit out our toothpaste foam after brushing and cleaning our teeth while dogs resist doing that. Hence it is not at all recommended to use human toothpaste on animals.
Q5. What kind of toothpaste should I use for my dog?
Well, the enzymatic toothpaste with all-natural ingredients like coconut, baking soda and other essential oils like grapeseed oil, green tea Can be a very good choice while choosing a toothpaste. You essentially need to look for the enzymes like glucose oxidase and lysozymes as this help get rid of bad breath and stinky smell.
Dogs are the most emotional and faithful creature in this world. They are jovial and full of life. They adore you for the sweet treats you often give them while playing and goofing around. Also, they love their roasted meat may it be pork, chicken or beef. But apart from all this protein and carb-rich diet you as a dog parent really need to take care of their oral hygiene. Hence it is recommended for you to get the best toothpaste that can keep their oral game on point. We are very sure that you would follow all the above-said points and make your own pick for your dog.
Also, consider feeding your dog with some raw vegetables like parsley, coriander carrot as these vegetables are not only rich in essential fibres but help to eliminate the stinky breath. Also giving your dog a detox meat-free diet occasionally can help to cure his gut health and fights oral disorder.