If you have a dog, you would need to visit the vet frequently to clip the dog’s nails. This can prove to be an expensive affair, and hence a lot of people end up learning to clip the nails at home. This is an important task that you should follow regularly, or else; the dog can injure himself or someone else at home. The next important thing is how you can clip the dog nails. There are two popular options which include using a grinder or a clipper. If you are confused about using the right equipment, do not worry; we can help you.
This article listed all the possible information about the nail trimming tools for the dogs that you can use. We have also listed the advantages and disadvantages of the tools available for trimming the dog nails.
Tools Available for Trimming Dog Nails
There are few different tools available to trim the dog nails. In this section, you will find more information about them.
- Guillotine Nail Clippers – These nail clippers have a shape similar to the ones used for humans. To use this type of nail clipper, you need to place the dog’s nail through the hole and press the handle. The single blade action slices the excess nail. This type of dog nail clipper works best for the small and medium sized dog. Guillotine Nail Clippers are not meant for cutting large and thick nails, and you would also need to replace the blade after a fixed interval.
- Scissor Clippers – The second type of option available is the scissor clippers. These are shaped like a scissor, and their working is also similar to the scissor. The blades are round and small. You need to position the nail and align it with the blade. After that, you need to exert force and cut the nails. This tool is the best one for cutting the nails of large dogs.
- Grinders – The last type of option available includes Grinders. This is a handheld tool that comes with a rotating abrasive material. An electric motor powers the tool, and you need to grind the dogs nail using this tool. You might have to change your head as it loses abrasion.
Pros and Cons of Nail Clippers
Since you are now aware of the available options, we would like to talk about the pros and cons of the nail clippers. You can go ahead and check out the pointers below.
Pros of Nail Clippers
- Affordable–The best part about the nail clipper is that they are very affordable. A nail clipper doesn’t cost much, and buying a nail clipper will also save money that you will have to spend at the vet. They last for a long time, and there are few moving parts, so the chances of failure are also less.
- Easy to Use– Nail clippers are also easy to use. You do not need any specific skill to learn using the nail clippers. Another reason that contributes to the ease of use is that you have been using clippers almost all your life.
- Quick– If you are looking for a quick solution to trim the nails, then nail clippers work the best. Within about a few minutes, you will be able to trim all the nails of your dog. This is one of the best advantages of the nail clipper.
- No Charge Required– Grinders require you to charge the battery, but the nail clippers are manual devices, and hence there I no need to charge them. You would not have to charge them over and over again. All these things make nail clippers one of the best tools to clip the dog’s nail.
Cons of Nail Clipper
- Need Attention– When you are using the nail clipper, you need to be careful. Not being attentive can lead to cutting of the quick. This can often cause bleeding and pain to the pet. You need to be very attentive since the nail cutters also cause a pinching sensation to the dog, and you would have to hold him tight.
- Nail Breakage– The dog’s nails are pretty brittle, and hence you would need to use a lot of force to cut the nails. Not making a sharp cut or using a blunt nail clipper can also lead to nail breakage. To avoid this, always verify the sharpness of the nail clippers that you are using.
Pros & Cons of Nail Grinders
You have been through the information about the nail clippers. Let us now go through the information about the nail grinders too.
Pros of Nail Grinders
- Comfort Level– The dogs are usually more comfortable with the nail grinders. They don’t feel the pinching sensation, so they will be calmer when using the nail grinders. They let you trim their nails without any panic.
- Manicured Nails– The nails are smooth and well-curved when you are using the nail grinders. This gives you an impression of a dog having manicured nails. So, if you are concerned about your dog’s grooming, the nail grinders work the best.
- Works with all types of Nails–The grinders also work best with thick and thin nails without any risk of hurting the dog or damaging the nails. While using the clipper, you need to analyze the thickness first, but the nail grinder gives you a higher degree of freedom.
Cons of Nail Grinders
- Loud & Dusty– The nail grinders are loud, and they also generate a lot of dust. You might want to wear a dust mask while you are grinding the nails. Also, it is often advisable to do this outside the home.
- Learning Curve– You would have to learn to use the grinder properly, and you would need to do it the right way. Not using the grinder properly can still hurt the dog’s quick.
We have covered all the possible information about the dog nail grinders and clippers. You can now decide what is better for your dog and what solution fits you the best. We do not want to recommend a single tool since we understand that the requirements differ from one dog to another. So, we are sure that after going through all this information, you will be able to choose the right tool for your dog.