Every pet parent buys a comfortable bed for the dog where he can sleep. A comfortable and cushion bed is essential for the dog as it keeps him well rested during the day and the night. While many of you may allow the dog to sleep with you on the couch or the bed, the fact is that it is not a good practice. This can impact your health in the long run, so it is always a better idea to buy a dog bed.
The challenge with the large dog bed is that you need to clean it once in a while to keep it free from pathogens, dust, dirt and smell. If you do not clean the dog bed often, you may end up with a smelly and soiled bed. Even the small dog bed can become a breeding ground for flea larvae. So, to help you further, we have listed the steps to clean the dog bed and the steps to keep it clean for a long time.
Cleaning the Removable Dog Bed Cover
Most of the dog bed comes with a removable dog bed. If your dog bed also has a removable cover, then you certainly have a reason to be happy. It is easy to clean such beds without damaging the bedding. Follow the steps below to clean the dog bed with a removable bed cover.
- Machine Wash – Most of the removable dog bed covers are machine washable. If your dog cover is also machine washable, there is no need to worry much. You need to put it in the washing machine and wash it with a mild to medium detergent. You can also use the disinfectant while cleaning the dog bed. With this, your job will be done.
- Vacuum – If the dog bed doesn’t come with a machine washable cover, then you need to start by vacuuming the bed. Use a powerful vacuum to remove the fur and other debris from the bed. You can even use a lint roller to clean the debris.
- Soak – After you are done with the vacuuming, you can go ahead and proceed to the hand wash. To proceed with the wash, fill the basin or a small bucket with water and add detergent along with some baking soda to it. Soak the dog bed cover for 15 minutes in the solution.
- Stain Removal and Scrubbing – After the dog bed cover has been soaked, you can use the stain remover if there are stains on the dog bed cover, and you can proceed to scrub the dog bed cover gently.
- Rinse – After scrubbing the dog bed, you need to rinse the dog bed cover with water. Don’t use warm water to rinse the dog bed cover. You should rinse it enough time to remove all the residual detergent from it.
- Dry – The last step of the process is to dry the dog bed cover. Wring the cover to drain the water and hang it in the shade to dry it. Do not hang it in sunlight, or else the color may fade away. After the dog bed cover has been dried, you can put it back on the dog bed.
Cleaning the Dog Bed
Some of our readers may have a dog bed without a removable cover. In that case, as well, you would need to clean the dog bed without fail. The drool, along with the urine stains and food particles, can cause a foul odor on the bed.To clean the dog bed, you can follow the steps below.
- Vacuum – Start by vacuuming the whole bed. You need to vacuum the bed with a high power vacuum cleaner that can help you get rid of the hair and other residues. Ensure that you vacuum the bottom of the bed as well. You can even use the roller to extract the hair and other residues. It can prove to be a good idea to brush the dog bed before vacuuming.
- Spot Cleaning – Look at the dog bed and see if there are any visible stains on it. If there are stains, then spot clean the stains and ensure that you are gentle with them. You can buy an enzyme cleaner, and you can use that to clean the stains effectively.
- Soak – The next thing to do is find a large tub that is big enough to accommodate the dog bed. Fill that with water and mild detergent. You can also add a disinfectant there. Once that is done, you can go ahead and soak the dog bed in soapy water. Ensure that the dog bed is completely submerged and leave it there for 10 to 15 minutes. Compress the dog bed after that to let the dirt out. If you notice that the water has turned very dirty then replace the water.
- Scrub – The next step is to scrub the dog bed with the brush and some baking soda. These are mild agents, and they will also neutralize the fragrance of the disinfectant and the detergent. Ensure that you cover all hard to reach places.
- Rinse – In the next step, you need to rinse the dog bed thoroughly. Ensure that there are no traces of detergent as that can irritate the dog. You will need a couple of rinses to clean the dog bed and get rid of all the detergents and baking soda.
- Dry – After the rinse is complete, you need to squeeze different sections of the bed to remove the water. This will help you in drying the bed faster. Now, place it on a clean rubber mat and place it in a ventilated area to dry it.
Tips to Keep the Dog Bed Clean
Below are some tips that can help you in keeping the dog bed clean.
- You should regularly vacuum the dog bed, and this helps you in keeping the dog bed clean.
- You should also sprinkle baking soda before vacuuming as this takes care of many pathogens and odor.
- If you can use the removable cover on your dog bed, it would be easier for you to keep it clean.
- After the dog comes from outside, get in a habit to clean the paws to keep the bed clean.
- Place the bed in direct sunlight once a week to remove the odor and kill the bacteria.
This was all about washing the dog bed and keeping it clean. If you need more information, leave a comment, and we will respond shortly.